If there’s one word that sums up the current state of IT, it would be “complexity.” With so many moving pieces needed to support a company’s applications and data, it’s no wonder there are so many companies aiming to solve this mess. But we’re not going to get into that (there’s plenty of marketing messages already covering this).
The topic we’ll be discussing during the Tips for Multi-Cloud Success panel at Opening Acts 2018 is a relatively new wrinkle in the IT complexity puzzle: having to manage multiple clouds. We’ve all heard the stories of shadow IT: marketing departments swiping their credit cards for Software as a Service applications and developers running up tabs on AWS, but now we have official uses of public cloud infrastructure: VMs running in Azure, email being hosted by Office 365, and backup/DR to the cloud solutions. And all of this is on top of our on-premises virtual infrastructure and/or private cloud.
But is this multi-cloud future inevitable? What does the future of IT look like with multiple clouds running our applications and data? Our panelists will discuss how we got into this situation, what it’s likely to mean to all of us, and how we get our arms around all of these different and disparate extensions to our infrastructure. Any well-run infrastructure is built on solid management tools and processes, so they’ll also discuss how our tools and processes will need to change in order to properly manage these extended IT components.
Other questions we expect our elite group of panelists might discuss:
- Are there particular cloud providers that people have had greater success with? Which uses cases are each best suited for?
- What if our migration to the cloud fails? What does it take to move back or to another cloud?
- How are VMware and other traditional on-premises vendors helping to ease this new paradigm?
- What skillsets should we all be focusing on building/improving to best equip ourselves for this?
- What about security and cost?!?
Speaking of panelists, here’s who we’ll have on stage to help answer these questions:
- Moderating: Stu Miniman – @stu
- David Burton – @HeyvBurt
- Joshua Stenhouse – @joshuastenhouse
- Phoummala Schmitt – @ExchangeGoddess
- Brian Knudtson – @bknudtson
- Tim Jabaut – @timjabaut
Whether you fear the cloud or not, this is a topic I expect many people will have to deal with in the next several years. Bring your questions and experiences, and join this information packed session.